Monday, August 13, 2007

Sophie's Choice-Where's My Courage?

Most depressing movie I have watched in a long time. I started watching it last night and finished it this morning. If you haven't seen it, Sophie survived Auschwitz. But, not without emotional scarring.

There is a scene where she is ask to choose which child she can keep, her son or her daughter. The thought just sickened me. How do you make a choice like that. Knowing if you don't make a choice, they both will die. How do you live with yourself once you make the choice?

Throughout the movie, Sophie is given many chances to help defectors, but can never bring herself to do it. She is scared and never gets up the courage.

I take for granted the freedoms I have to worship God the way I want. I wonder how I would respond if I thought I would die or my children would die, because of my love for Christ. I guess there is a small part of me that thinks I wouldn't have the courage. I would let fear take over.

I have depressed myself....time to go find happy thoughts!

No comments: