Friday, June 22, 2007

The People Rebel

I just finished reading Numbers chapters 11-14. I remember reading this to my class in the fall. I kept thinking how it reminded me of what my church was just beginning to go through. This is how I relate it.
Moses called some men to explore the land of Canaan. For forty days they explored the land. They came back talking about how the land flowed with milk and honey. Just like God had promised. Then came the But! They went on to tell how the people who lived there were powerful......descendants of Anak, who were exceptionally strong and tall. Caleb was the only one to silence the people before Moses, saying they should go up and take the land. Unfortunately, the goodness of the land was offset by fear.
That night the community of people got together to grumble and complain. They were ready to choose a new leader and head back to Egypt. They even went as far as talking about stoning Moses and Aaron.
Long story short, God was ready to destroy them. Moses argued to save the people who rejected Him. In the end, God punished them. He sentenced them to die in the desert. For Forty years they wandered.
I was the one who grumbled. I listened to everyone else because of fear. I was missing out on what God had planned for me. It is amazing what fear and lack of trust in God can do.
I had to learn a very hard lesson. I missed out on too much already. I spent the last year crying, sick, sad, depressed, angry, and confused. I was searching in the wrong places, with the wrong motives.
Thank you Lord for opening my eyes and closing my ears to gossip. Thank you for my church, the staff, and my friends. Most of all I thank you Lord, for giving me a desire to reach the lost. I am ready to Love!

No comments: