Sunday, June 24, 2007

What would I give up?

I think about the movie Schindler's List. Before I start blogging, here is an excerpt from the end of the movie:

Oscar Schindler: I could've got more ... I could've got more, if I'd just...I could've got more ...
Stern: Oscar, there are eleven hundred people who are alive because of you. Look at them.
Schindler: If I'd made more money...I threw away so much money, you have no idea. If I'd just ...
Stern: There will be generations because of what you did.
Schindler: I didn't do enough.
Stern: You did so much.
Schindler: This car. Goeth would've bought this car. Why did I keep the car? Ten people, right there. Ten people, ten more people...(He rips the swastika pin from his lapel) This pin, two people. This is gold. Two more people. He would've given me two for it. At least one. He would've given me one. One more. One more person. A person, Stern. For this. I could've gotten one more person and I didn't. I didn`t ..."


This hits me hard. What have I given up for one more person to know Christ? What am I willing to give up for one more person to know Christ? Could I rationalize selling my house and giving away the profit, if just one person would know Christ? Maybe I would do it if 100+ people gave their live to Christ. Would I do it, if I could control how the money was spent? I am convicted....I have such a selfish nature. I sometimes think God is going to punish me because I could have given more. You know what.....I punish myself for missing out the joy of giving! I think of all the unnecessary materialistic things I have wasted money on, that could have furthered the Kingdom of God. I am ashamed of the things I throw away. I pray for God to convict me of my giving. I pray that I stop listening to my selfish desires. If I had lived in Schindler's time, I could have saved 10 people or more with my purses alone. Not to mention what my shoes could have done!
All this being said, I should be willing to give whatever it takes for one more person to know Christ!

2 comments:

Angie Bledsoe said...

A while back Byron and I were discussing this on a Sun. night before he was going to address "Dare You to Move" the next morning. We were talking passionately about: "how much is one life worth?" - are lives worth losing income, friends, our reputation, etc... I said, "Wait a minute, this reminds me of an awesome scene in a movie!", and Byron replied, "Me too, is it in Schindler's List?!" I said, "Yes! - now I've got goosebumps!" We showed the very scene you refer to the next morning -

Regardless of what motives others may assign to us @ C3, this is what it comes down to: "How much is one life worth?" - Someone asked us recently, "What kind of church sells a perfectly good church building to go to a movie theater? Isn't that backwards?" Well, maybe. But at the end of the day, there's nothing in this world worth more important than changed lives, especially not brick and mortar (even if it does have a steeple on it).

My great - grandfather died on his way to a concentration camp, so Schindler's List is moving to me anyway - but, that particular scene challenges me in my faith today - So, now Byron and I just pray for "one more person..." No one can put a price on that. Thanks for the reminder - it gives me hope. Peace.

My Own Bandwagon said...

Amen Sister!