Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Name Tags

Friday night I was watching 20/20. This guy Scott had on a name tag like you get at a conference. It said, "Hello my name is......Scott" He wears it everywhere. He even has it tattooed on his chest. Here is an excerpt:

'Hello, My Name Is Scott'

Speaker and author Scott Ginsberg, 27, has no problem finding people to talk to. "I've probably had encounters with over 100,000 people," Ginsberg said.

His popularity is fueled by an accessory that may make most people uncomfortable: He always wears a name tag.

"What is with the name tag? Well, I get that probably three to five times a day. And it's been approximately 2,237 days that I've been wearing this 24/7," he said.

Ginsberg feels the name tag represents friendliness in a world filled with strangers. In fact, he started his marketing business, "Hello My Name Is Scott," when he was just 22. He now makes more than six figures a year from book sales and speaking engagements. (from 20/20's home page)

Can you imagine? Just by wearing a name tag, this guy now makes six figures! The whole idea really made me think....How great it would be to start learning the name of people you see out and about. Like at the grocery store or pharmacy(my favorite place!). Kinda like in Mayberry! We live in such a busy world, it is so hard to invest in new people and even strangers. You never know how some one's life may be blessed or even bless you, just by making a connection with someone. I think this really affected me because I am not friendly. What I mean by that is.....I am so scared and shy, I am afraid to start a conversation with a stranger. I will just be quiet and get lost in my thoughts. Plus I am a big people watcher! I always let someone else initiate the conversation. I am even like this with friends. There are only a few people I will call on the phone, just because I always feel like I will inconvenience someone. I am scared of rejection, but yet don't care what people think. Or do I? I get this from my Grandma. She is the same way. If I am at a party, I always go were it is the quietest and fewest people are.
It amazes me how God make each of us so unique. Imagine if all our personalities were the same. Life would not be boring! Anyways....don't be surprised if you see me wearing a name tag the next time you see me. (Really I am not that bold!)

No comments: