Sunday, July 1, 2007

Sunday is my Funday!

Again, I can't tell you how much I love my church and the atmosphere. I walk in with a new attitude and a new outlook. I am experiencing true worship. Not that I faked it before, it is just different for me. A good different.

I loved the sermon. Especially since I am reading in the old testament. I think sometimes I stayed away from the Bible because I was so intimidated. It's scary to sit in church and have the pastor call out a book and you feel like an idiot because you can't get there fast enough. Or the pastor reads about people in the bible, who you have no idea who they are. But, you sit there and pretend like you do. Nobody wants to feel inadequate! I used to think someone would think I really wasn't a "good" Christian if I didn't know my Bible backwards and forwards.

I can't quote scripture that well and the language is hard to understand sometimes. I finally bought a Quest Bible (which I don't know if there is any controversy on it, heaven forbid!) It has good references and side notes. It explains the confusing terms and language. I can honestly say I enjoy reading my Bible now. Mostly because I read it with a new attitude. I read because I want to know Jesus better.

Jeff goes to a gym who's motto is "Judgement Free Zone" I finally feel that way about my Bible. It's not this scary book that sits on my shelf, that I pretend to know. My church doesn't love me any less because I can't quote scripture front to back. (is that the saying?) There is no list of names of who knows the Bible better. I don't feel intimidated anymore!

1 comment:

Angie Bledsoe said...

Hey! Welcome back. I agree with you - many times I've felt like when the preacher would tell you to "turn in your Bible to...", I was back in Bible Drill and there was some kind of ticking clock and a scorekeeper off to the side with a big buzzer that's gonna sound when your time is up. Anyway (I've got some issues, I know), it's very important to us at C3 not to assume that everyone HAS a Bible, or knows how to find verses quickly...or ever - it's better to make it easy for everyone to see and hear the Word by reading it AND putting on the screen. We've been criticized for this ("Your making it too easy for people! They don't even have to KNOW their Bible to come here!"). It's amazing the things that make people feel superior - they're always at the expense of someone else. But, now I'm preaching...
I did want to tell you that you are no slouch when it comes to Bible study - you've been "breakin' it down" - and that's not easy with Numbers (or any Book before Psalms, for that matter). Keep it up, we're all learning a lot. Keep keepin' it real. Peace.